Recent Fire Damage Posts
Different Types of Smoke!
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – (770) 622-9411.
Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. SERVPRO of Duluth will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred before starting restoration.
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (770) 622-9411
Tips for your smoke alarm!
SERVPRO of Duluth (770) 622-9411.
Daylight Savings Time works well for maintenance.
Smoke alarms must be installed and maintained properly because they play a vital role in saving lives. Having the smoke alarm can reduce the risk of fire injury in half. Along with having a smoke alarm, it is best you have a fire escape plan so everyone can escape quickly and safely.
Here are a few tips you need to know!
- Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Test smoke alarms once a month.
- Clean Dust from sensor openings.
- Smoke alarms should be installed 10 feet away from cooking appliance to prevent false alarms.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once year.
Fire Safety Tips
If you have Fire Damage, call us 24/7 at 770-622-9411.
Did you know that if a fire starts in your home, you may have as little as two minutes to escape? During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives. Here are some top tips for Fire Safety:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. It may be hard, but never go back inside for anything or anyone. It's a higher risk that you may get hurt or get stuck in the fire as well.
If you have Fire Damage, call us 24/7 at 770-622-9411.
Home Fires Are Started by Grills Each Year
Fire Damage? Call 770-622-9411
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the summer months! A backyard barbecue can become dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions are not considered. Your local SERVPRO of Duluth wants you to have an enjoyable and safe summer.
Here are some tips to help ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
Whether you are celebrating a birthday or the 4th of July, make sure to take all the safety precautions into mind when firing up a grill or playing with fireworks.
Reasons Why it is Vital to use Fire Cleaning Professionals
Fire Damage? Call us 24/7 - 770-622-9411
Fires can happen unexpectedly at any time. Some people are unprepared on what to do for the clean up after the fire occurs, which is why it is vital to hire fire damage servicing company to help get it done correctly.
- There are four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke has a bad tendency to linger for years and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into besides the obvious like the carpet and furniture. It can be in the walls or air ducts. This sometimes makes the air in the home unhealthy to breathe, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Many people may try to clean the damages themselves but don’t have the right equipment to do so. Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire or the water used to put out the fire. It can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Don’t delay the cleanup process, the sooner the cleanup gets started, the less damage repair will need to be done. If you have any questions, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Duluth.
Principles of Cleaning Smoke-Damaged Materials
If you are dealing with fire damage in your property, call SERVPRO of Norcross. 770-858-5000
SERVPRO of Duluth Principles of Cleaning
When restoring smoke-damaged materials, the goal is to restore materials to preloss condition. SERVPRO of Duluth apply the following basic principles of cleaning to accomplish this task.
- Locate smoke residues by carefully inspecting the affected area. The inspection will start near the source of the fire and trace how far smoke moved through the structure.
- Identify the type of residues. Different types of smoke residues can exist in the same loss environment. SERVPRO of Duluth will select a cleaning method that will effectively remove the type of smoke residues present.
- Identify the type of surface. The type of surface determines which cleaning methods and products are safe to use on that surface. SERVPRO of Duluth are careful to preserve the material or surface being cleaned, and some materials may be un-restorable because they cannot withstand the cleaning process.
- Capture and remove residues. Smoke residues bond with surfaces they contact. SERVPRO of Duluth uses dry and wet cleaning processes to release and carry residue particles away from the affected surface.
Dispose of residues. SERVPRO of Duluth properly disposes of debris and cleaning waste