Summer Safety Tips
Home Fires Are Started By Grills Each Year
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the summer months! Did you know, July is the peak month for grill fires? A backyard barbecue can become dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions aren’t considered. Your local SERVPRO of Duluth wants you to have an enjoyable and safe summer. Consider the following tips to help ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
Mold can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. Molds reproduce by making spores that usually cannot be seen without magnification. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. Bacteria can start to grow within hours and mold can start to grow within days. Mold spores can lay dormant for years until an ideal growing condition develops, in which they start to flourish. Especially during the summer, the warm humid conditions are a perfect micro-environment for mold growth. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur—particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. It is impossible to eliminate all molds and mold spores in an indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling the moisture.
Many types of molds exist. All molds have the potential to cause serious health effects. Molds can produce allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic to it. Others are known to produce potent toxins and/or irritants. Potential health concerns are an important reason to prevent mold growth and to remediate and clean any existing mold growth indoors. The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just kill it. Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are still potentially toxic! Applying the appropriate restoration procedures within the first few hours of a water loss can save thousands of dollars in secondary damage. Before the growth of mold becomes visible, there will be a faint musty or earthy smell. In time, mold will appear on the outside of the wall as a stain or discoloration.
In a standard situation, SERVPRO of Duluth Professionals examine the structure for any visible signs of mold and remove the mold growth and excess spores returning the area back to normal levels. Some situations require the assistance of an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional (IEP) with specialized equipment and services needed to assess and/or repair the structure. IEPs can test and clear a structure for mold by collecting air and surface samples. Then they can determine whether the mold has been successfully decontaminated. SERVPRO of Duluth handles mold remediation work on a daily basis and know when prompt action is required to prevent further mold growth. SERVPRO of Duluth Professionals is trained to control microbial problems in structures by promptly drying wet or damp materials according to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. SERVPRO of Duluth is Certified Mold through IAQA.
Be Prepared for Severe Weather
Severe weather can happen anytime and anywhere. Being prepared for a severe weather is critical to staying safe. Deadly weather can caused more than 8 billion in property damage. Many businesses affected by the disasters never reopen, so it is very important to be prepared.
Know Your Risk. You need to understand the type of hazardous weather that can effect where you live and work. Your shelter plan should include all types of local hazards because severe weather comes in many forms.
Take Action. You need to create communications plan for your home or business. You will need to put together an emergency kit. Also, keep your important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Be an Example. Once you have taken the action to prepare for the severe weather, share your story on social media. You preparedness story may inspire others to do the same.
What should be in your Emergency Kit?
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle – so you can signal for help
- Dust mask or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents – copies of insurance policies, I.D and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
What You Need to Know before Filing a Claim on your Home
Filing a Claim
When a disaster hits your home, you usually panic and call your Agent or insurance company to file a claim. Sometimes that isn’t a good idea because your deductible maybe higher than the damage itself. It is best to get an estimate from a restoration company like SERVPRO of Duluth before you call to file a claim.
Here are some basic rules to follow when filing a claim:
- Check with your agent or assigned adjustor to verify you’re covered for the claim. After heavy rains and hurricanes, many homeowners think they have flood insurance. Traditional homeowners insurance does not cover water damage caused by floods. It is a separate coverage underwritten by the federal government through the National Flood Insurance Program. If you file a claim with your insurance company for something that isn’t covered, the claim itself doesn’t go away from your record.
- If you’re a consistent claimant, your rates are going to be high. It isn’t unusual for a homeowner to file up to two claims in a 10-year period, but more than one or two in a three-year time span and the insurance company will think you’re a high risk.
- Don’t submit claims for what is really a home-maintenance project. (small incidents) Also, a better maintained home get better premiums.
- Call a restoration company like SERVPRO of Duluth to provide free estimates on your damages. They will let you know if the damage is less or more than your deductible. Base on their estimates, you can decide whether or not to file a claim.
Contact your local SERVPRO of Duluth at (770) 622-9411 for free estimates on damages related to water, fire or mold in your home or business.
Vandalism and graffiti on your property can be very frustrating and upsetting. It can range from relatively minor pranks to mischievous destruction of property. Simple acts of vandalism, like breaking a window, can often cause significant water and mold damage issue if not addressed in a timely manner.
SERVPRO of Duluth will act quickly to remove vandalism and graffiti from your home or commercial spaces. In addition to removing spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls, they can also clean driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry. With our highly trained technicians, we can offer the following services:
- General cleaning and graffiti removal
- Brick, stone, and concrete cleaning
- Odor removal and deodorization
Reasons Why it is Vital to Hire a Fire Damage Servicing Professional
Fires can happen unexpectedly at anytime. Some people are unprepared on what to do for the clean up after the fire occurs; which is why it is vital to hire fire damage servicing company to help get it done correctly.
There are four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke has a bad tendency to linger for years and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into besides the obvious like the carpet and furniture. It can be in the walls or air ducts. This sometimes makes the air in the home unhealthy to breathe, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Many people may try to clean the damages themselves but don’t have the right equipment to do so. Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire or the water used to put out the fire. It can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Don’t delay the cleanup process, the sooner the cleanup gets started, the less damage repair will need to be done. If you have any questions, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Duluth.
When Storms or Floods hit Duluth, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Duluth.
SERVPRO of Duluth specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Duluth, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (770) 622-9411.
Restoring Your Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at any commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Duluth
SERVPRO of Duluth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Emergency Ready Profile
Emergency Ready Profile
Disasters and emergencies always strike without warning. Preparation is an important key for making it through any size disasters. It is best to plan ahead before any disasters strikes.
SERVPRO of Duluth offers a “free non committal” emergency program called an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). It is a start up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By signing up with SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disasters. We are the leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile Advantage
- A no cost assessment of your facility. This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Duluth as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Spring has arrived and it has welcomed us Georgians in a bipolar way. We are still not sure if we should keep are heaters around or put them up. It’s also that time of year to conduct some home maintenance that will help homeowners avoid big repair bills later on.
- Inspect your roof; it is your home’s first line of defense against water damage.
- Clean your gutters; it directs the rain away from your roof and home
- Clean or replace HVAC filters; a dirty filter forces your heat, ventilation, and AC system to work harder.
- Check the washing machine fill hose; sometimes a leaky hose under pressure can cause water damage in a short period of time.
- Clean your dryer vent; a clean vent will help reduce the time your dryer has to run, while a plugged vent not only wastes money but could cause a house fire.
- Replace the batteries on your smoke detectors; you never know when you will need them.
These tips may take a few days to complete, but take it one step at a time and you’ll get them done.