What to do During a Thunderstorm!
Here are some tips on what to do before, during and after a thunderstorm when it comes to lightning protection.
Before a Thunderstorm
Limit electric contact in and around your home by:
- Remove dead tree branches near your house which could ignite and cause a fire if struck by lightning.
- Unplug all appliances before the storm hits to prevent power surges.
- Close all blinds and shades.
During a Thunderstorm
Once a storm has started, there are additional safety measures to take.
- Stay away from windows.
- Avoid phone use - telephone lines can conduct electricity.
- Stay away from faucets, sinks and bathtubs.
- Stay away from water if you're stuck outside. Get inside or in a car.
- Keep the windows shut if you're in a car. Pull to the side of the road to wait until the heavy rain subsides. Keep away from trees that could fall on your car.
- Find a place outside that is unlikely to flood, if you can't find shelter. Avoid tall structures such as towers, trees, fences, telephone lines and power lines.
After a thunderstorm
- Check Your Home for Damage
- Review and Assess the Damage
- Contact Your Insurance Provider
- Avoid Additional Damage Where Possible
- Choose the Right Contractor to Restore Your Home
Lightning can strike your home or other areas of your property. If you have storm damaged, call SERVPRO of Duluth at 770-622-9411.