Be Prepared for a Severe Weather
Severe weather can happen anywhere and anytime. Deadly weather can cause more than 8 billion in property damage. Many businesses affected by the disasters never reopen which is why being prepared is critical.
Know Your Risk. You need to understand the type of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work. Your shelter plan should include all types of local hazards because severe weather comes in many forms.
Take Action. You need to create communications plan for your home or business. You will need to put together an emergency kit. Also, you must keep your important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Be an Example. Once you have taken the action to prepare for the severe weather, share your story to everyone you know. Your preparedness story may inspire others to do the same.
What should be in your Emergency Kit?
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle – so you can signal for help
- Dust mask or bandannas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents – copies of insurance policies, I.D and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container