Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
- Mold is found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It is part of the natural environment. It’s usually not a problem, unless it starts to grow indoors.
- The best way to control indoor mold is to control the moisture
- Molds produce and release millions of spores small enough to be air-, water-, or insect-borne.
- Common indoor molds are:
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Reduce indoor humidity to decrease mold by:
- Using de-humidifiers
- Use the air vent in the bathrooms
- Increasing ventilation
- Using the exhaust fans whenever cooking
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold as soon as possible.
- Clean and dry any damp materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Do not install carpeting in areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem such as basements, kitchen etc.
- The best way to find mold is to look for signs of mold growth, water staining, warping, or to follow your nose to the source of the odor.
Mold Cleanup in Your Home
Call SERVPRO to Remediate Mold Infestations in Your Home or Business
If your home has experienced water damage due to roof or plumbing leaks, flooding, sewage back-up, overflows from bathtub or sinks, or high humidity, mold, and mildew can develop within just twenty-four to forty-eight hours of water exposure. Worse, it continues to grow and spread until steps are taken to eliminate the source of the moisture, and the mold is properly cleaned up by professionals such as SERVPRO of Norcross.
Mold colonies or growths can begin growing on a damp surface in your home. They reproduce by spores, which are microscopic, seed-like substances which travel through the air. Molds eat organic materials, eventually destroying whatever they are growing on, then spreading to destroy organic materials nearby. Besides the damage molds can cause inside your home, they can create health effects as well.
When facing water damage, first turn off the main power in your home. If any wiring is moldy or wet, you should have an electrician check the electrical system before turning the power on again. You should not open the house to fresh air when the humidity outside is lower than inside while you wait for SERVPRO of Norcross technicians to arrive. This mistake can allow mold spores to circulate to many other areas of your home. When we arrive, industrial tools and cleaners are used to find and clean the mold, plus dry the area. For fast drying, dehumidifiers and fans are utilized for the excess moisture unless the mold is growing already, as the fans can spread the existing mold.
All wet items are removed, such as bedding, furniture, rugs, carpeting, and toys. Moldy and wet carpeting may need to be discarded. We clean and disinfect other items, and all food products that are possibly contaminated must be tossed. Any wet or contaminated porous materials such as drywall, ceiling tiles, and wood by-products are also removed. We drain walls by removing the baseboard, and drilling holes close to the floor and paneling is dried by pulling up the edge at the bottom out from the studs. We then check the interior of the wall for hidden mold.
Before our technicians even get started, we ensure the area is well ventilated, and we wear protective gear including masks, gloves, and protective gear for the eyes. If mold is present, we clean a small test patch first. The entire area affected is disinfected after the cleanup is complete.
SERVPRO of Norcross is experienced and professionally trained to take care of your mold damage in a timely and thorough fashion. Mold cleanup cannot be done with bleach, so be sure to contact us at (770) 858-5000 for mold remediation.
How Mold Damage Can Enter Your Home
Excess water and flooding can lead to mold damage both inside and outside of your home.
SERVPRO Remediates Mold Damage Inside or Outside of Your Home
Mold creates a significant amount of damage wherever it thrives because of the way it uses its food source as a platform. Anchored by its hyphae on whatever surface it is using to supply its nutrients, mold causes that same surface to slowly disintegrate. As it disintegrates, the mold reaches deeper down. This activity applies to any material that is even slightly porous, including concrete or brick.
In Georgia, homes are made of some of the best building materials in the country, but mold damage can still happen. Mold occurs everywhere, and this means mold damage can happen inside your home, and outside, in areas that you might not have considered.
Decorative brick on the exterior areas of your home, including those in walkways and patios, can become infused with mold. When wet, these bricks can become extremely slippery, causing people to fall and possibly injure themselves. Care must be taken to clean these areas well so that mold spores are not spread. Even though they are located outside, it is important to contain as much of the mold and spores as possible.
It is crucial that this is cleaned up outside as mold is easily carried indoors by both people and pets. Once inside, mold can find itself deposited into pet beds and tucked away under beds and inside closets. All these locations are perfect breeding grounds for mold.
SERVPRO of Norcross can help you rid your home of mold and the damage it can create. When mold becomes a problem, the only real choice is to re-mediate and protect your home. Mold damage affects your home, and while it is doing this, it can also be the cause of adverse health effects in your family members. Call us, SERVPRO of Norcross at (770) 858-5000, any day and at any hour if you have found mold damage in your home or believe it might be a problem where you live.
Mold can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. Molds reproduce by making spores that usually cannot be seen without magnification. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on to survive. Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. Bacteria can start to grow within hours and mold can start to grow within days. Mold spores can lay dormant for years until an ideal growing condition develops, in which they start to flourish. Especially during the summer, the warm humid conditions are a perfect micro-environment for mold growth. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur—particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. It is impossible to eliminate all molds and mold spores in an indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling the moisture.
Many types of molds exist. All molds have the potential to cause serious health effects. Molds can produce allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic to it. Others are known to produce potent toxins and/or irritants. Potential health concerns are an important reason to prevent mold growth and to remediate and clean any existing mold growth indoors. The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just kill it. Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are still potentially toxic! Applying the appropriate restoration procedures within the first few hours of a water loss can save thousands of dollars in secondary damage. Before the growth of mold becomes visible, there will be a faint musty or earthy smell. In time, mold will appear on the outside of the wall as a stain or discoloration.
In a standard situation, SERVPRO of Duluth Professionals examine the structure for any visible signs of mold and remove the mold growth and excess spores returning the area back to normal levels. Some situations require the assistance of an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional (IEP) with specialized equipment and services needed to assess and/or repair the structure. IEPs can test and clear a structure for mold by collecting air and surface samples. Then they can determine whether the mold has been successfully decontaminated. SERVPRO of Duluth handles mold remediation work daily and know when prompt action is required to prevent further mold growth. SERVPRO of Duluth Professionals is trained to control microbial problems in structures by promptly drying wet or damp materials according to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. SERVPRO of Duluth is Certified Mold through IAQA